Projects

0

Publications

0

Awards

0

Biography

Please see my websites https://vertecolab.weebly.com/and http://a2obioproject.weebly.com/.

My research examines broad ecological and evolutionary questions, including applied problems. I take an integrative approach, using a combination of controlled experiments and observational studies to test hypotheses. Much of my research has used reptiles and amphibians as model systems, but I am broadly interested in a variety of vertebrate groups.

I am interested in the relationship between vertebrates and habitat structure, and study habitat use and shelter site selection, predator avoidance and thermoregulation, as they relate to habitat. These interests have lead me to study the influence of various anthropogenic effects, such as logging, grazing, and weeds and their control, on vertebrate populations.

Presently, much of my research is centered on ecoacoustics - the sounds made by animals in the environment, and how they can be used to monitor biodiversity. In my lab, we have been working on techniques and approaches to facilitate the use of such data for biologists. We examine both threatened and rare vocal species (for example - Southern Black Throated Finches), as well as abundant and invasive species, to help us learn to interpret the patterns in sounds around us, with the goal of developing solutions to monitoring vertebrates in many different settings.

Invasive species, as predators, prey and competitors can have negative effects on native species. With an industry partner I developed a trap that exploits the signalling system of invasive amphibians (cane toads) to selectively remove mature reproductive individuals from populations, as a means of local control for these pests. With partners at DAF and in Indonesia are examining means to broaden the use of these traps for other invasive amphibians, such as Asian Black-Spined Toads.

Research

Research Interests

Ecoacoustics

Relationship between vertebrates and habitat structure

Behaviour and habitat selection

Predation and antipredator behaviour