reseracher placholder

Conrad Hoskin

Projects

0

Publications

0

Awards

0

Biography

My research and teaching interests focus on biodiversity: what's out there, how we discover and describe it, how it arises and adapts through time, and how we can conserve it.

I'm very interested in speciation and rapid adaptation, including to human-induced change like climate change and invasive species. To date, I've done a lot of evolutionary biology and species discovery but I'm increasingly focussing on conservation projects. My research methods include field data, genetics, and modelling. Many of my projects involve frogs and lizards because they show biogeographic patterns and evolutionary processes on a fine scale, and because Australia has a rich diversity. However, I'm interested in all groups and current projects include mammals (e.g., Spotted-tailed Quolls) and invertebrates (e.g., Drosophila experiments).

Current projects include: phylogenetics and taxonomy of various reptile and frog groups; mating trait evolution in geckos, frogs and flies; speciation in hybrid zones; reinforcement and character displacement; conservation genetics of endangered frogs and mammals; climate change adaptation in native Drosophila; impacts of invasive geckos and toads; recovery of frogs from chytrid disease; and decline and threatened species recovery in all vertebrate groups.